Many people think that off-the-shelf smoke detectors will be enough to keep their families safe in the event of a home fire. It’s a good start, but if you’re asleep, the fumes and smoke of a fire could leave you incapacitated. A monitored fire alarm provides you with a complete home security solution.
Monitored systems not only protect your family and home while you’re asleep, but they protect your residence and property when you’re away. It can take up to 27 minutes from the time the fire starts to when the fire department arrives when you don’t have fire alarm monitoring installed. For homes with monitored fire protection, that time could be reduced to just 5 minutes.
Carbon Monoxide Detection
Fire is not the only threat to your home and family. An unseen danger comes for deadly carbon monoxide gases that can build up in your home.
Carbon monoxide is a by-product of combustion, present whenever fuel is burned. Common home appliances, such as gas or oil furnaces, gas refrigerators, gas clothes dryers, gas ranges, gas water heaters or space heaters, fireplaces, charcoal grills, and wood burning stoves, produce it. Fumes from vehicles and gas-powered lawn mowers also contain carbon monoxide and can enter a home through walls or doorways if left running in an attached garage.
Proper home ventilation will most likely release carbon monoxide safely to the outside. But in today’s “energy efficient” homes this is frequently not the case. That’s why a Carbon Monoxide Detector in important in your home security arsenal.